Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Puppy classes and on-leash walking

This past Monday I attended the puppy class a friend is taking her 9 month old husky mix.  It was awesome.  It was a clicker class for puppies.  Each puppy was tethered on a bungie leash and had play-gates separating them from the closest other puppies.  They worked on basics, like not jumping on  people (everyone just rotated around the room from puppy to puppy to practice), recalls, cookie parties (emergency recalls), and loose leash walking.  


I was most impressed with the loose leash walking, probably because I struggle with this myself (being consistant and actually working on it, it's just not that reinforcing to me).  But the method I saw is quite creative and brings loose leash walking back into the fun to train/something to actively train mode.  They call it the silky leash method.  You teach the dog to follow light pressure on the leash.  You apply enough pressure so your pup can feel it, but not enough to activate the opposition reflex.  When the dog moves into the leash to reduce the pressure, you click!  Pretty simple.  


Naturally, I tried it with my pups.  Ioda loves it!  He was like, why didn't you tell me this 10 years ago?  This is easy and makes sense!  Helper has to concentrate much more to keep it up, but it has turned her into active participant thinking about what's going to happen next.  


Disclaimer:  I'd been trying the be-a-tree method with Helper.  
With her it works like this:  she pulls, I stop, she looks at me and backs up just a enough to have a loose leash (because she's turned to look at me, not because she understand the criteria) and we move.  She acts like, wow, that was a buzz kill, but does not think about why.  This is probably because I can't be accurate enough with this method.  I've also paired it with clicking when the leash is loose, but again, I don't think she picked up on the criteria.  

1 comment: